On-Farm Lameness and Hoof Health Assessment
Lameness is recognized as a problem in most dairy herds throughout the world. With modern dairy management practices, lameness rates continue to rise. I investigate lameness from the cow’s perspective, focusing on the dynamics that influence hoof health and the welfare of the milking herd, dry cows, and growing heifers.
- Cow environment
- Time budgets
- Cow handling and herdsmanship
- Lameness detection through locomotion scoring
- Hoof health records and trimming schedules
- Hoof trimming and lame cow treatment techniques
- Footbath management
A customized hoof health game plan will be developed with practical solutions.
- Train on-farm staff to detect lameness early
- Train staff to successfully treat lame cows â€“ ACTION STEPS
- Recommend effective trimming and therapeutic hoof trimming techniques
- Establish footbath protocol to prevent infectious diseases
- Discuss changes to the cow environment
My first consultation and the initial recommendations are only the beginning. As we work together, hoof health will improve and we will SAVE COWS.